Do you or anyone at your address depend on electricity for critical medical support?
Please let us know immediately if you or someone in your house depends on mains electricity to power Critical electrical medical equipment - where no electricity could result in loss of life or serious harm. This applies to both medical and other equipment needed to support treatment.
In order for energyclubnz to list you as a Medically Dependent Customer you must supply a Notice of Potential MDC Status which is a form that is completed by the patient/caregiver and a representative of the DHB, private hospital or GP which provided the Critical electrical medical equipment.
If you do not have this document, please check with your health practitioner. Click here for an example of the Notice of Potential MDC Status which you can show your health practitioner.
See below for a NON-EXHAUSTIVE list of critical electrical medical equipment:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machine
- Nasal Continuous Positive Airways pressure machine
- Non-invasive Ventilation (NIV) Bi-level Positive Airway Pressure (BiPAP) machine
- Oxygen concentrator
- Renal dialysis – Automated Peritoneal Dialysis (APD)
- Renal dialysis – Continuous Ambulatory Peritoneal Dialysis (CAPD)
- Renal haemodialysis machine
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
- Ventricular Assistance Device.
How can I prepare for a power outage if I am medically dependent on electricity?
To ensure your safety, it's really important to have a emergency response plan in place in case of a power outage which can happen suddenly during bad weather, if emergency repair work to your power lines takes place, or if other unexpected circumstances occur.
What to do:
- If possible, ensure you always have a standby battery fully charged.
- If a friend or family member has electricity at their house - you may want to go there until power is restored.
- If the situation is serious you should call an ambulance to be taken to hospital.